These cupcakes are so light and fluffy and are topped with a luscious cream cheese icing. Perfect for Valentine's Day!
We have made a few different recipes now to celebrate Valentine's Day 2019. First there was Shortbread Cookies with Raspberry Icing and then the Pink Velvet Swiss Roll with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting. Now to round off all the pink and red coloured bakes, we are making Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing.
Let's talk about this icing first. I made these cupcakes with my friend Cindy, and she gave me this recipe. Have you ever had cream cheese icing that is not cream cheese-y enough? By reducing the icing sugar, more of the cream cheese flavour pops through. This icing is to die for!
The cupcake itself has a wonderfully light and fluffy sponge. My cake could have been a bit red in colour. If you would like yours a deeper red, just add more food colouring. And of course, top your beautiful cupcakes of with sprinkles! Always sprinkles!
If you like red velvet desserts, try red velvet cake cheesecake.
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoon red gel food coloring
- ½ cup hot water
Cream Cheese Icing
- 8 ounce package of cream cheese room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a medium bowl sift flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl combine buttermilk, oil, vanilla, egg, vinegar and food colouring.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Slowly add in the hot water and stir to combine.
- Fill the cupcake liners half way full and bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Let the cupcakes cool for 2 minutes and then remove from the muffin tin and finish cooling on a wire rack.
Cream Cheese Icing
- Combine cream cheese and butter to a bowl and whisk until smooth. Add icing sugar and whisk until combined and smooth.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes. I used Ateco tip 808.
- Add sprinkles if desired.
- Cupcakes are best kept at room temperature in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Adapted from Life, Love and Sugar recipe