These rhubarb streusel muffins have a tender crumb and are studded with tangy rhubarb bits. They are all topped with a sweet, crunchy, brown sugar streusel topping!
This is my first muffin recipe on this blog and I am so happy that it is this rhubarb streusel muffin! These muffins are very bakery style with high domes and a crunchy cinnamon streusel topping.
Rhubarb is in season right now and I was so happy when I found it in my grocery store. I always buy extra to freeze so I can bake with rhubarb any time of the year.
Tips for making rhubarb streusel muffins
- Do not over stir the batter as the flour will form elastic gluten strands, which will create a dense muffin.
- Fill the muffin tins/liners to the top, not ¾ full. This will help create those high domes.
- Press the streusel topping onto the top of each muffin to make sure it adheres.
- To create the high dome, start baking at a higher temperature for a few minutes and then turn the temperature down to finish baking them.
The muffins are great eaten warm straight out of the oven but will still be equally as tender a few days later. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
If you loved these muffins then you might like these recipes:
- RED VELVET CUPCAKES WITH CREAM CHEESE ICING
- GRINCH CUPCAKES
- BEST EVER CHOCOLATE FUDGE BROWNIES
- SHORTBREAD COOKIES WITH RASPBERRY ICING
- CHEWY CHOCOLATE GINGERBREAD COOKIES
- 1 ¾ cup (220g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup (165g) brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup (120g) sour cream
- ¼ cup (60ml) milk
- ½ cup (115g) butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (200g) rhubarb, chopped
- ¼ cup (55g) brown sugar, packed
- ⅛ cup (30g) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp (57g) unsalted butter
- Grease or line a 12 cup muffin tin, set aside. Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk the sugar and egg together. Add in sour cream, milk, butter and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Add in the dry ingredients and whisk until batter has no lumps remaining. Stir in the rhubarb.
- Fill the muffin tins with the batter, completely full.
- To make the topping, stir the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt together. Add in the butter and stir with a fork until the mixture is crumbly.
- Evenly distribute the topping over each muffin, pressing the topping down onto the batter to ensure it sticks.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425F and then, leaving the muffins in the oven, lower the temperature to 350F. Bake for another 18-20 minutes.
Store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 284mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 3g
All nutritional information provided on ninakneadstobake.com are intended for informational purposes only.