Instead of going to the store and buying pumpkin pie spice, use some staple ingredients that you have in your pantry, and make your own!
Jump straight to the recipe!
🥧An easy spice blend
If you are like me and have a huge collection of spices, you don't need to go out and buy pumpkin pie spice. You probably have all the ingredients in your pantry already to make your own.
The best part of making your own pumpkin pie spice is that you can tailor it to your own taste. If you like a more robust flavour, increase the cloves and ginger. If you like a softer taste, increase the cinnamon. Basically you are in full control to make the perfect pumpkin pie spice for you!
❔What is pumpkin pie spice?
The spices used are all those warm spices that are in lots of fall baking - cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. I also add allspice to my pumpkin pie spice because it goes so well with the other spices. I like a more robust spice in my fall baking, and this recipe reflects that.
- Allspice - note this is a spice made from a dried berry. It's not a blend of spices.
I like to combine the spices in a mason jar. Screw on the lid and shake the jar to combine all the spices. Store the jar among your other spices, or tie a nice ribbon on it and give it away as a gift. You can easily double or triple this recipe so that it fills whichever vessel you are gifting it in.
📙Recipes to use pumpkin pie spice with
- Store your spice bled in an airtight container.
- Blend the spices with a whisk or place them in a container, put the lid on, and shake!
- Make these for gifts! Put the spice blend in tiny mason jars and tie with a ribbon.
It's made of a blend of 5 spices - cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves.
Pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin spice is the same thing - a bunch of warming spices.
Funnily enough, there is no pumpkin in pumpkin spice. It's called that because it's used in recipes that have pumpkin as an ingredient.
Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine all the ingredients in a mason jar.
- Screw on the lid and shake to combine.
- You can double or triple this recipe to make more.
- If you want a more robust pumpkin pie spice, increase the ginger and cloves.
- If you want a more warmer spice, increase the cinnamon.