Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This is my pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting. It has a fluffy, moist and perfectly spiced sponge, and is topped with a thick tangy layer of cream cheese frosting.
Servings 12 Slices
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13 inch pan; set aside.
Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice together in a medium bowl.
In a separate medium bowl, whisk oil, eggs, both sugars, pumpkin puree and vanilla.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool completely before icing.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Add in confectioner's sugar and salt and beat slowly together until the sugar is incorporated. Beat on high for a few minutes more.
Spread the frosting over the cake. Leftovers can be covered tightly and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Add in an additional 1 cup of walnuts or chocolate chips.
- Try using ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce and ½ cup oil to replace the 1 cup of oil in the recipe.
- Homemade pumpkin puree can be replaced for the prepared pumpkin puree. Make sure to squeeze out as much liquid as you can before using it in this recipe.
- Use store bought pumpkin pie spice or make your own!
- If you would like to freeze the pumpkin cake, bake the cake and then wrap it tightly. It can be frozen for up to 3 months. Bring it to room temperature, frost and then serve.
- Leftovers are best kept covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Serving: 12g | Calories: 580kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 11g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 0.3g | Cholesterol: 84mg | Sodium: 443mg | Potassium: 166mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 54g | Vitamin A: 6095IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 2mg